In no particular order. Before I die, I want to …
1. Ride Western. I think ridden a little in a Western saddle. But I want to ride Western. In the USA or Canada. On a ranch. Preferably doing stock work (or whatever it’s called over there ).
2. Visit the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. Needs no explanation.
3. Ride side-saddle. In my mind I will be good at this. I’ll let you know how it works out in reality, however …
4. Breed a foal. I’m thinking a sporthorse or a pony.
5. Compete respectably at fourth-level dressage. I could go all out and ‘aim’ for GP, but if I reach fourth I feel like I will have ‘made it’.
6. Play polo. I have played polocrosse – loved it! Next step: polo. A real game too, not just bashing a ball around.
7. Ride saddle seat. I mean … wow. Is this not the craziest* discipline out there? Does this not look like pretty fantastic fun to you? I want to ride a shiny, prancing firecracker of a horse at a flat-out but super-smooth pace!
(*of course, crazy is relative …)
8. Go to the Burghley, Badminton or Rolex Kentucky horse trials. Adelaide 4* is just over the ditch, but it’s so close that it feels like ‘cheating’. When I say ‘go to’, I mean as a spectator. Or a rider. But I’ll consider this item complete if I merely spectate .
9. Get my BHSI. I’m not sure that getting all the way there is any more than a dream, but I would actually like to get at least part of the way there.
How many of those are on your list? What are some must-do things that I don’t know about yet?